Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Missionary

Since this is the first entry I thought I'd introduce us.  The Battery Books & Music is a used bookshop and is located at 1005B Mission St in South Pasadena.  There are LP records, some 78s, comics, cds, and live music.  We're open ten until nine Sunday through Wednesday, Thursday from ten till ten, and Friday and Saturday from 10 until 11.  We opened in November, maybe the first or second week.  Nights haven't been too busy but we try to do most of our pricing at that time.  The workers, in my opinion, are still in training but they're all coming along.  Two have come and gone, and all but one are going to school as well.  Hopefully they'll be contributing to the blog or at least telling me what they're reading.  I like knowing. 

Outside of the store, in front of the vestibule, is a cart with books priced either one or two dollars.  As you step into the vestibule with Mix 'N Munch on your right and Hodgson's Antiques on your left, there are more bargain books.  We buy as well.  The usual policy is to leave your items with a name and phone number and we'll get back to you.  Sometimes we can do the purchase within minutes but other times it might take a while, possibly a couple of days but that is rare.  Having worked in other bookstores I think our policy is fair but I guess I would think so.  Someone sent me this and I think it should explain a little about what we take:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2010/06/why_your_book_buyer_hates_you.php

Laurie is the main force behind the bookstore.  I'm Richard and I just handle organizational stuff, money, that sort of thing. 

I suppose I made this blog so that I could announce our events.  Tomorrow, Thursday, we have Victoria June Corbisiero on piano.  I am hoping for some classical but I have a feeling she may venture into other territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment